12.31.2011

Mmm, doughnuts...

When Magic Man and I were engaged I received some fabulous advice from a wonderful woman. She said, "Find your own normal." No two engagements, marriages, or couples look and act the same so there's no reason to compare and contrast oneself with anyone else. If I wanted to wear bright orange flats under my wedding dress then that was totally fine. It was our normal.

I find myself having similar problems during this pregnancy. Wondering if what I'm thinking or feeling is "normal." I know of the abnormal things; Magic Man already has orders that if he comes home and finds me eating paper to get to me the doctor stat. But what about wanting to eat a can of pineapple chunks for dinner? Or crying my eyes out when I watch an episode of The Office I've seen no less than 9 million times? Or sleeping at any time, anywhere, with or without drool? Or, you know, telling my husband that the baby is his child today because it's causing my hip to hurt.

Yesterday I had a moment of clarity on the whole normal issue.
I got heartburn for the first time in years.
From a DOUGHNUT.
That is not normal. But at the same time, during this season of life, it is 100% normal. So I'm giving up on trying to figure out if I'm a normal pregnant woman or not. I'm just going to go along day to day being the best pregnant woman I know how to be. It's a time of learning and growing and resting and taking care of myself in order to take care of my baby. If that means going to bed at 8 on New Year's Eve is weird--so be it.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're blogging again friend,happy new year!

    normal shmormal, as long as you're healthy and nibblet's healthy what else matters?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, donuts. When I was pregnant I had the worst heartburn EVER. For months! I'd wake up in the morning after not eating for ten hours and have heartburn. There's no escape.

    Rolaids became my favorite food group.

    ReplyDelete